Thursday, April 28, 2005

New Book, New Yarns, New Ideas

My Reader's Digest Knitter's Handbook arrived yesterday! I have yet to find time flipping through it. But I am very happy with it. I got it from eBay for only $10 plus cost for Media Mail ... sweet deal. There were several others available for bidding at the time I was checking. But I decided to buy this one directly as my experience was that with bidding, very often I would have to pay more to get it. Being smart this time! I checked later to find the bids for the others went up to almost $20!

Reading Ann's post yesterday, I took a trip to Target in the afternoon to have a look at the knit-pack myself. But the sweeter thing was that in the same mall, there was a Hancock Fabrics. I had never gone into this store before. Not knowing why, I went into it yesterday ... and you know what I found? Lion Brand Cotton-Ease! I know about this yarn for some time ... everybody seems to have good words to say about it. The sad news is that it is being discontinued (I guess you must have read about this zillions of times on knitters' blogs already!). But there in Hancock, I found several good colours! After much consideration, I picked up 5 balls of pink. The next question would be "What are you going to do with them?"

Some time ago, I bought several old pattern books from a used bookstore. Among them is Schachenmayr Nomotta Inspiration No.61. There are several patterns I like from this. For the Cotton-Ease, I am considering these two:



The pink top requires 2.5 balls ... but I'm going to make it longer, so let's say 3 balls. The green one requires 3.5 balls. Which one should I make? Maybe I should return one ball of pink and see if I am lucky enough to get another colour today. That way, I can make both! What would you do?

Oh yes, last night, I finished another crocheted square for the afghan:



This is Square 13 named Bushy Stitch. Isn't it pretty? I love it and I think it looks more like flowers. It was as if I had the magic touch last night ... got the right gauge the first time trying and *boom* ... before I knew, the square was done! I am working hard on the page for this afghan so that my crochet friends won't have to go through all the knitting stuff, which they may not care about, to find my crochet work. It's almost done ... almost!

4 comments:

Kirstie said...

Agnes, I vote pink!! Or both!! hmmm, not much help, am I?

opportunityknits said...

The pink one! Just love that pattern at the top and that lacey hem.

Laura.Y said...

ditto! I vote Pinkie too! :D

Mimi said...

I think the pink one is simple and elegant! Go for it! What needle size is advised for this Lion yarn?