Wednesday, February 23, 2005

What have you been knitting lately?

I have stalled the blue afghan for some time. Why? It's mainly because of the "cheerio" piece. The pattern is cute like having strings of cheerios, but it is extremely painful to knit - 7 columns of 2-stitch cable patterns! Yet, finally I have overcome the hurdle and moved into the last piece of the first column. (There are 30 [6 x 5] pieces making up the whole afghan and I am knitting 6 pieces in one column without breaking to minimize the amount of sewing up) Four more to go and I can have my second afghan done.

Among the 6 patterns I have done so far, I like this one most. The reason that I am not too happy with what I've done is that I should have twisted the cable in the last row. Now it just doesn't look so right to me.

Well, the afghan is not the only project being put aside. Do you remember the "Pretty Comfy Socks"? I am still working on the first one. The pattern calls for short-row heel and I found it a bit confusing at the beginning. But with some frogging and researching on the internet, I am almost approaching the toe now:


It seems that I still have a lot of yarn in the first ball ... definitely more than enough to finish the first sock.

As for the cotton tank, I am half way through the braid pattern on the back:

I have struggled for a while, thinking it was a bit strange to have a braid pattern on the back. But the fact is I love doing cables and braids.

I have also added 2 new crochet projects. One is a hat for my niece's birthday. If I have the time, I may also make her a bag. The other one is a skinny scarf for myself. Surprising, isn't it? I told Siow Chin not long ago that I had to take a break from scarves, yet here I am making another one. But this one is different, though. I think I would like to have a scarf for summer night out ... one that is solely decorative in purpose, without any "substance". Thus, novelty yarn is the perfect choice. Another surprise, huh? Yeah, I hate working with novelty yarn. For this one, it's a ladder yarn ... which doesn't help to make me like it. I have to chain 3 times before I can figure out how to get the stitches. However, the scarf looks quite beautiful:

5 comments:

Eilene said...

Prairie is stunning so far. I just love the color. It is a silvery grey, isn't it? On my screen that's what it looks like. Can't wait to see it done.

Siow Chin said...

I love making afghan squares and those you're making are beautiful.

Ka' Knits said...

Hi Agnes,

I love your new wall paper on your blog! Such a nice look. You seem so busy with all your new projects! I am jealous. I am finishing up with my projects and thinking of the 63 crochet square knit along. Is is fun? Maybe we could knit it together and send pictures as we complete it. Let me know what you think...since I am a new crocheter. Bye! Karen

Erica said...

I like your sock. Is that one of the patterns from the Townsend Sock Knitalong? I like the Cascading Leaves, but haven't tried any of them yet. Still working on the Dolman Updated. I've been sick twice since the beginnning of January, so it's been slow going and I'm just getting back to it this weekend. Have fun with your knitting. I'll stop in from time to time to see what you are knitting!
Erica

Anonymous said...

where did you get the white cabled top pattern? I love it! Your knitting is beautiful.