Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Knitting ER

It was sooner than I expected. I have finished the 2 sleeves of the sweater. While I was bathing in the satisfying feeling of accomplishment ... AARGH! What was that?



It was a stitch where I just picked up one ply, leaving a big loop on the right side of the sleeve. This happened from time to time but I usually managed to notice it before going on too far. However, this time I have already finished the whole thing. My first reaction was to let it be. Yet, the lesson of eyesore immediately popped into my mind. I knew I had to repair this.

So, first I slid back the needle into the last row of stitches up to the position just above the loop.



Then, I undid the column of stitches down to the loop:



I just felt lucky that I bought those elastic stitch holders last week in The Knitting Room. They just came in handy now. Next, I used a crochet hook to pick up the stitiches back to the top:



I had to pull the yarn a bit tightly so that the column wouldn't become a ladder after I finished. Voila ... can you find the loop now?



Tomorrow I can start blocking them.

6 comments:

Lori said...

wow! I've never seen that done before! Color me impressed. That was so cool! I would have thought I would have had to frog all the way down to the row where the problem was. I need to learn how to do that..

thanks for the comment on my bloggy! Asha kitty is basking in the glow of your praise :)

Amie said...

Great job! I would have just tucked it underneath, maybe sewn it in with thread, thereby making it invisible - yours is a more honest approach. Looks terrific!

Anonymous said...

Bravo, bravo!

Siow Chin

Laura.Y said...

I've discovered that trick months back. Smiled when I saw your post. Probably why I love those pictures you posted. It makes it so much easier huh? Everytime I have to do that, which is quite often I might add, I thank the earth sun sky and moon for that trick. Happy knitting!

Desmond Goh said...

Hey Agnes, that is magic. I always thought once you made a mistake, that's it. I didn't know it could be undone and remidied. Great work there.

Knitting Marsha said...

I love this post. I will share that with friends who need help visualizing how to pick up dropped stitches. Thank you for posting the pictures. craftygal7388.blogspot.com