Saturday, February 12, 2005

Barnyard Guernsey Sweater

It is no more Husband's sweater ... it has become mine now. It was my fault actually. I made the first and foremost mistake mentioned in Men in Knits - I didn't involve him in the decision making process. All along he thought I was knitting a sweater for myself. When I finished and told him it was for him, he was really surprised and said, "Don't you think it is a bit too feminine for me?" Well, at least he had the courtesy to try it on ... and it convinced me that he was right! Lucky is that Husband is not a very big man, and I am not a very small woman. So, here I am wearing the a-little-bit-oversize sweater:



At least I like the pattern a lot. I think it shows very well in the picture. Besides, I got the size right for him ... it fits well.

So, I asked him what he would like. He said that something without any pattern in rope would be good. Rope? The first thought coming to my mind was "Great, I can knit him something in Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton!" That is the most "rope"-like yarn I can think of. It seems I need to look for some cotton-wool blend that is not too fuzzy.

Now, I have another problem ... well, to be exact, something to consider. I bought the yarns based on a crochet pattern. As we all know, crocheting uses much more yarns than knitting. So, now I have 11 balls of leftover. I have thought for a long time how to deal with them. Finally, I got an idea. This would mean I need to pick up yarns of a different colour. I am leaning towards the talk of the town - KnitPicks' Wool of the Andes - because of the price and the good reviews it has received.

8 comments:

Toni said...

It looks wonderful! Well done.

Lori said...

looks great! do you think he might have meant no cables?

letti said...

i like your sweater! it looks really comfortable..and as for the tea and toast..it's so cute! I wish i could knit

Laura.Y said...

Hi, ur sweater looks great..:)

Anonymous said...

The sweater is beautiful and very comfy looking! My husband also wears mostly the stocking stitch sweaters I knit him.

Siow Chin

Anna said...

I think a man could wear that sweater. (Though it does looks great on you.)
The color shows off the pattern nicely.

PS: I love the bag pattern. Very pretty!

Lu said...

I love the sweater!
And the purse too - I have never knitted a bag before but it is on my "to-do" list.
Oh, and I tagged you back ....

Kirstie said...

The sweater's great!!! And I LOVE that bag!